Google
 

Friday, February 15, 2008

Success - Who Would I Be IF.....

Can anyone be successful?

As I was sitting at the feet of the most influential woman in my life last week listening to her speak, a thought occurred to me that I could not put out of my head. The lady who introduced the speaker told all about her life, but the one thing that stuck out the most to me was who her parents were. Her parents were very well known and influential people among the group I was with and to many others. After all the time I had known her personally I had forgotten that her parents were who they were.

So the question kept ringing in my ears: "Can someone really be great and successful if they did not have successful well known parents?" What if you did not grow up in an environment where you were always encouraged and told you could do anything you wanted if you put your trust in God? What if you grew up in a negative environment? I asked these questions because, like many of you, to a large part that was my reality. (I am not saying this to put down or dishonor or blame my parents in any way. They simply raised us in the only way they knew how and the way they had been taught. I had great parents who taught me to love and serve God and that I am very thankful for.) But the encouragement to inspire to greatness was not there.

Rags to Riches?

So where does this leave us? Is it possible to reach heights if we've never been encouraged to do so? You better believe it? I'm living proof. Is it more difficult? Sure, but the thing to note is it is absolutely possible - if and only if we tell ourselves it's possible. It only takes a reprogramming of the mind. If our subconscious mind has always been programmed for unsuccess we must recognize that, bring it to consciousness and reprogram it for success.

There are hundreds and hundreds of stories of people who almost literally went from rags to riches. One of my favorites is the story of Mike Brescia who went from being homeless to one of the most successful salesman of all times. His story is a must read.

How do we do it?

So how does it happen? How do we make something of ourselves if we must start from scratch? How do we reprogram our minds once we see the need to do so?

First, we must let go of the past. As long as we are stuck in the past and blaming anyone for our current situation we will never go forward. Instead we must focus on what we can learn from the past and how to use it to move forward.

Second, we must believe anything is possible. Without this belief we will go nowhere.

Third, submerge yourself in learning from those who have been successful.
Read, listen to and learn everything you can from them. If you REALLY believe it is possible you will seek out and find the information you need. Your mind won't let you stop.

Fourth, which really goes before number two: after the question hit me about if you had to have super encouraging parents to be a success, the next question that came to mind was:

Who would I really be if I had never been told I couldn't do anything or if it had been instilled in me that I could do absolutely anything if I put my trust in God?

That is a question that we should continually ponder. This requires us to dream of things that others consider impossible. Have I mentioned before about believing anything is possible? That's no accident!

Fifth, once we have determined the person we want to be, the next step is to write out a description of the person you want to be and what you want to accomplish.

Sixth, Act out the person you have DECIDED to become.

Seven, Act as thought it were IMPOSSIBLE TO FAIL
It's all about deciding to and acting on the decision without letting the possibility of retreat enter your mind. Persevere no matter what.

Go for it!!!!

Recomended audio for reprogramming the mind:
Think and Grow Rich (Original, Unabridged Edition 12 CD Set)

No comments: